When you commit to a positive and optimistic lifestyle, you must share positive energy. That is a non-negotiable with the universe. If you choose not to share, you are not becoming the person you are destined to be. Being optimistic is a choice. When you wake every morning, you choose to be grumpy or happy. Throughout the day how you react to any situation is totally up to you. You can live your life as if you are on a dreaded roller coaster or you can take those ups and downs as a thrill ride and make the best of it.
Does being optimistic mean you won’t have bad days? No. You are going to have bad days, that’s a given. The key is to be realistic. You can’t always be upbeat, nor are you expected to. But as an optimist, you deal with the hard times and move on. Here are some tips on developing an optimistic mindset:
- See today as the present. Today is the only day you are guaranteed to wake up to. That is why it is called the present. As important as it is to plan for your future, it is as important to live today as if it is your last day. When you do, you begin to let go of the past, not worry about the future, and set yourself up to making this day your best day ever.
- Attend to your personal needs. You are the most important person in your life. This may sound selfish, but when you put yourself first, you increase your enthusiasm, energy, and optimism. Your momentum is contagious, and those around you benefit.
- Don’t let things drain you. Be aware of the “energy drainers” in your life and eliminate those when possible.
- Positive thoughts = positive returns. A suggestion is to implement a “media-fast.” This means, turn off the news. Today’s news is presented with a biased approach. Take the position that if you need to know something, you are going to know it. It is amazing how much your life improves when you give up watching local and network news and newsfeeds.
- You always have a choice. You may not be able to make the change you want, but you are able to start taking the steps that lead to the desired results. That is a choice. That is your choice.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Jim Rohn contends that we are the average of the 10 people we most often associate with. If you need to make new friends and change your group, do it! Remember, it is called your “Circle of Influence!”
- Follow your passion and chase rainbows! If you are not following your passion, you are not creating the life you deserve to live. Listen to your dreams and go after them.
- Count your wins. You may already journal, but are you counting your wins? On your smartphone or on a tablet, count your wins throughout the day. The smallest wins create the largest results. And with your smartphone, take a picture of what created the win. Make a win photobook!
- Laugh and laugh often. When you laugh, you release endorphins throughout your body that is an energy booster.
- Get moving, get stronger. When you exercise, walk the dog, take a bike ride, work around the house, or other activities, those endorphins are released again and the energy boosting!
If you are tired of looking at the world in the same way, then that is a key to broaden your horizons and improve your life. When you embrace each day as the present it is, you begin to live a more exciting, balanced, and inquisitive life.
We all have things we can learn from others, so when truly open minded, you implement those discoveries in your life. And, throughout your day remind yourself this is “My Moment to Succeed.”
bartism: Every time you subtract negativity from your life, you make room for more positive energy.